SANTA CRUZ, CA. May 18, 2016, Software developers in the EMEA region (Europe, Middle East and Africa) are extremely concerned with security in their development projects with the largest plurality citing Cyber Terrorism as the threat they are most concerned with. According to Evans Data’s recently conducted EMEA Development Survey, more software developers in the region (38.4%) feel that Cyber Terrorism is the threat they are most concerned with followed by Cyber Theft (29.8%) and Cyber Espionage (21.4%). Cyber Espionage, while in some ways related to both Cyber Theft and Cyber Terrorism, is distinguished from the two in that it involves theft of sensitive, classified, or proprietary information, rather than theft of money or deliberate sabotage.
“Security is especially worrisome for developers in Europe,” said Janel Garvin, CEO of Evans Data. “They are most concerned with the very real threat of terrorism, and the failure of many organizations to implement a formal security strategy just adds to the anxiety. Only 30% of these developers say their company has a formal security policy in place that is adhered to across departments, and that’s very concerning when you think about the other 70%.”
Additionally, the developers said that the primary obstacle to establishing better security in their organizations is statistically tied between a lack of funding, and a lack of expertise or training. They also point at the mobile client as the weakest link in their security programs.
Evans Data’s EMEA Development Survey is conducted twice yearly with 450 to 500 developers within the region, and delivers a margin of error of +-4.5%. It is broad in scope and features a wide variety of development topics. This spring’s report has sections on: Platform Adoption, Language Use, Mobile Development Cloud Development, APIs, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, Development Lifecycle, Payment Solutions, Enterprise Development, Purchasing and more.
Please contact Evans Data for a complete table of contents.
Evans Data Corporation provides regularly updated IT industry market intelligence based on in-depth surveys of the global developer population. Evans' syndicated research includes surveys focused on developers in a wide variety of subjects.
Copyright 2016 Evans Data Corporation. All other company names, products and services mentioned in this document are the trademarks and property of their respective owners.